I was once told that the original meaning of the word cute was ugly yet interesting. Good enough for a bulldog, but not to describe a wee infant in a bunny outfit. Thankfully nowadays we use the term ‘cute’ from anything that is pleasing on the eye, to things that are mini-sized and well, cute.
So here’s my list of things that make you go awwwww:
– Old people holding hands. Their love has most probably stood the test of time, and they still like each other enough to engage in a simple form of PDA. Either that or they both have Alzheimer’s and thought they’d just met and gotten lucky.
– Most things in baby form. Kittens, puppies, lambs, babies. I say most, because I don’t define larvae or a freshly born joey as being cute.
– Little clothes for babies. Like Adidas shoes that a newborn doesn’t need or want, but they just look soooo cute. Pity they don’t come with a ‘cute’ price tag.
– Little drawings, notes and letters from your significant other. They are at their cutest when just sprung on you out of the blue. You go all mushy inside, and Casanova gets some action.
– The innocence of children. Whether it is from out of the mouth of your own offspring or from someone else’s, the naivety and matter-of-factness reign supreme. I was driving along with my 2 ½ year old niece. We were listening to the radio when she pipes up “I’ve got thumbs.”
– Dresses and heels. Given the right combo, they hold an unexplained power. They are cute, because you know that they make you look cute.
I’ve now come to an acute standstill. Too much cuteness results in writer’s block, and the need to Google ‘stuff that’s cute’. It ended up being a spectacular one of those ‘don’t try this at home’ moments.
The first website that stares at me blankly is some homemade crafts that I would not render cute. This is the kind of stuff that gets put on an overloaded sale table at a nic nac shop, hoping to be taken home and put to some kind of use. They’re usually gifted off to somebody else to deal with.
The next site looks promising. Apparently it’s an overload of cute. The standard pictures of kittens, bears, puppies, and a pigeon wearing a backpack. Once again, I do not find a picture of a guy on a scooter with a dog strapped to his back cute, neither is a banana snail in macro. It’s slightly weird and in its own right funny, but not cute.
I’m feeling out-cuted, over-cuted, and about ready to execute. But I digress, there seems to be some stuff that is universally cute, and some stuff that is up for personal opinion. No matter what floats your cute boat, just don’t Google it and become disappointed.